I’m going to try and keep this recap fairly brief because that was a pretty terrible game and I’m pretty sure nobody watched/cared anyways. Here are my observations from the game.
- The Coyotes got ahead early with a classic Flames goal against as a defensive turnover allowed for the Coyotes to get a weak shot through that was deflected and beat Gillies
- The Flames pushed pretty hard after the goal but couldn’t get anything past Raanta
- The Coyotes extended their lead late in the period when Kevin Connauton put a nice wrist shot on net that got through the traffic in front and right into the top corner.
- An early goal in the second period made it 3-0 when Gillies made the original save but then the puck somehow hit Rasmus Andersson and went in. But who would expect anything different?
- Nick Shore got the Flames on the board with a goal midway through the period, it was his first as a Flame.
- Calgary pushed really hard the rest of the game but as we’ve seen all year, they just couldn’t get a clutch goal on home ice to get back in the game.
- A late Coyotes goal sealed it
- Spencer Foo looked really good once again tonight as he was creating numerous chances but couldn’t score. He had 7 shots during the game (maybe he’s ready to be a Flame after all)
- Jon Gillies had another rough night in net for Calgary
- Antti Raanta is really good
- Nick Shore and Curtis Lazar had some nice flashes together
- Backlund, Frolik, Brouwer, Stone, and Kulak were all -3
Flame of the Game
Spencer Foo (F): Seriously he looked really good tonight, seems like he has a very good chance to make the team next year if they don’t populate the roster with a plethora of Troy Brouwers again
2 more games left, thank goodness.