The NHL released it’s list of events in conjunction with the league turning 100 this season. There’s a lot in this press release, but if you were wondering what the league has planned, here’s EVERYTHING they have on tap.
NEW YORK / TORONTO (Dec. 13, 2016) – The National Hockey League today announced the details surrounding the special events that will launch its Centennial festivities honoring a century’s worth of extraordinary players, teams, remarkable plays and unforgettable moments.
The NHL’s Centennial celebration will commence officially on January 1, 2017 in Toronto with the Scotiabank NHL Centennial Classic™ outdoor game featuring an Original Six™ showdown between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at Exhibition Stadium. This marquee event will also feature the first phase in the announcement of the 100 Greatest NHL Players, as well as the launch of the NHL Centennial Fan Arena, a traveling fan experience that will visit all NHL markets across North America in 2017.
Details regarding the 100 Greatest NHL Players and the NHL Centennial Fan Arena, as well as other Centennial events in January:
100 Greatest NHL Players (January, 2017)
The 100 Greatest NHL Players is a centerpiece of honoring 100 years of NHL hockey, and will be ceremonially unveiled in January at two marquee events. A blue ribbon panel comprised of distinguished members of the hockey community – including executives, media members and NHL alumni – selected the esteemed list.
Toronto, Sunday, Jan. 1 - Members of the 100 Greatest NHL Players (34 in total) who played predominantly during the NHL’s first half century (1917-1966) will be announced on Jan. 1 during a special pre-game ceremony at the Scotiabank NHL Centennial Classic™ in Toronto.
Los Angeles, Friday, Jan. 27 - The remaining 66 players, those who played predominantly from 1967 through to present, will be named at THE NHL100™, a star-studded event open to the public on Jan. 27 during NHL All-Star weekend. The 90-minute event will be held at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, beginning at 6:30 p.m. PT. Fans looking to purchase tickets can register for more event information at www.lakings.com/allstar. Los Angeles Kings Season Ticket Members will receive pre-sale access to purchase tickets for the event starting Tuesday, Dec. 13.
NHL Centennial Fan Arena (January – December, 2017)
The NHL Centennial Fan Arena, a touring tribute to a century of hockey thrills, is another main pillar of the year-long Centennial celebration. To view video teasers of the NHL Centennial Fan Arena click here and here.
Key elements include (see attached images):
· MUSEUM TRUCK – The main attraction is a 53-foot museum truck with an innovative interior featuring more than 1,000 square feet of interactive digital displays, original video content, historical memorabilia, and unique photo moments.
· VIDEO TRUCK – A second 53-foot trailer will host a giant video screen featuring team trivia and highlights, as well as a pop-out stage for special appearances.
· THE “RINK” – A pop-up ball hockey rink will give youth hockey players a chance to shine with programmed games and clinics.
· CLEAR THE ICE ZAMBONI® VR EXPERIENCE – This never-before-seen VR experience allows fans from across North America to compete against each other in a race to resurface the ice. Fans will take a seat in a mini-Zamboni® ice resurfacer, feel cool air on their skin and their seat rumble, as they are tasked with creating the perfect sheet of ice – in virtual reality. All races will be timed and shared on a leaderboard.
· STANLEY CUP® – The oldest and most revered trophy in all professional sports will make a special appearance in every NHL market.
· RSVP PROGRAM – Starting Dec. 19, fans attending the Centennial Fan Arena in their local market will be able to RSVP at NHL.com/FanArena in advance of the event. The RSVP program will include pre-registration for the free activities at the Fan Arena including the CLEAR THE ICE Zamboni® VR Experience and photos with the Stanley Cup®, and will provide event reminder notifications for each respective market (dates, times, locations, events, special appearances and more).
· NHL CENTENNIAL FAN ARENA JANUARY/FEBRUARY CALENDAR – The Fan Arena will visit the following NHL markets in January and February. Details regarding specific events in each respective market will be available in the coming weeks:
o Dec. 31 – Jan. 1: Toronto (Exhibition Stadium, Lot 2, as part of The PreGame at the Scotiabank NHL Centennial Classic™)
o Jan. 6-7: Arizona
o Jan. 12-14: Dallas
o Jan. 18-19: San Jose
o Jan. 21-23: Anaheim
o Jan. 26-29: Los Angeles (2017 NHL® All-Star)
o Feb. 3-5: St. Louis
o Feb. 11-12: Nashville
o Feb. 24-25: Pittsburgh
TOURNAMENT OF ROSES PARADE (Monday, Jan. 2; Pasadena, CA)
The Centennial festivities continue on Jan. 2 at the 128th Rose Parade presented by Honda, with a Centennial themed float “A Century of Greatness (1917-2017).” Featuring floral replicas of a 55-foot long hockey rink, the official logos of the 30 NHL teams, and the official NHL Centennial logo, the float will commemorate 100 years of hockey along the renowned parade route in Pasadena. NBC’s broadcast of the parade will lead into its live coverage of the 2017 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® between the St. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks on Jan. 2. The rendering and time lapse footage of “A Century of Greatness (1917-2017)” is available here.
2017 NHL Centennial Calendar of Celebrations
In addition to the key launch events in January, the Centennial celebrations throughout the year will include a variety of important content initiatives, ceremonies, recognitions, observances and special events. Details on these events will be announced at later dates.
Jan. – Dec. NHL Centennial Fan Arena Traveling Tour
Jan. 1 Scotiabank NHL Centennial Classic™ (Toronto, ON)
Jan. 1 100 Greatest NHL Players Unveiling (Players who played from 1917-1966)
Jan. 2 Tournament of Roses Parade - “A Century of Greatness (1917-2017)” Float (Pasadena, CA)
Jan. 2 2017 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® (St. Louis, MO)
Jan. 27-29 2017 NHL® All-Star (Los Angeles, CA)
Jan. 27 THE NHL100™ - 100 Greatest NHL Players Unveiling at Microsoft Theater, Los Angeles, CA (Players who played from 1967 to present day)
Feb. 25 2017 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series™ (Pittsburgh, PA)
March 15-18 Stanley Cup® 125th Anniversary Celebrations (Ottawa, ON)
June 2017 NHL Awards™ (Las Vegas, NV)
June 23-24 2017 NHL Draft™ (Chicago, IL)
Nov. 26 NHL 100th Anniversary of the Founding of the League
Dec. 19 NHL 100th Anniversary of the First Games Played