Trying to determine the trajectory, if not the true future of a hockey team can change rather quickly. Pegged for regression much like Colorado, Minnesota, and Toronto before them, the Flames made quick adjustments this summer to hopefully prevent it. By going out and making dynamic, logical decisions, general manager Brad Treliving held firm to his words.
The immediate future, at this current time for the Flames, holds a lot of dead weight. Each year moving forward Calgary does find some alleviation, which helps, though next summer is already on the horizon. There should be a bright future for this organization, but to get there, there is ample amount of strenuous work ahead of them.
The timeline of future events
A summary of the summer so far
- Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau headline 11 total RFAs for the Flames.
- Mark Giordano's future needs to be determined.
- Kris Russell, Jiri Hudler, David Jones, and Jakub Nakladal are UFAs.
The Flames need to make decisions on goaltending moving forward as well; though, in the grand scheme of things, this is a lesser concern. With Jonas Hiller and Karri Ramo as UFAs, Joni Ortio is an RFA again while Jon Gillies will have completed his first pro-season. There is also some potential flexibility with free-agents. Two final points to make note of:
- Calgary currently has eight picks total, including an additional fourth round pick from Nashville they acquired for Max Reinhart
- The World Cup of Hockey returns as it comes to Toronto. From September 17th to October 1st, there is a strong chance several Flames players may make some rosters.
- Emile Poirier, Morgan Klimchuk, and Mason McDonald headline seven RFAs for the Flames.
- Mikael Backlund and Matt Stajan are the only two remaining UFAs — with regards to existing Calgary Flames contracts.
- Flames coaching staff's existing contracts expire (?) — Pending extensions or termination.
- Midway through the 2017-18 season, the Winter Olympics take place in PyeongChang South Korea, marking the possible final time in the immediate future the NHL may be involved.
- Brodie, Hamilton, and Frolik become UFAs in the summer of 2020.
- The likelihood Quebec City and Las Vegas each have NHL teams.